Our College was founded as a peaceful outpost of the original St Brigid's Convent and school in West Perth. In 1928 Mother Brigid Watson had the vision and foresight to purchase the building and grounds from the Red Cross.
The six Sisters and thirty five boarding students who journeyed up the hill in April 1929 were to find the Heritage building in need of some hard work and cleaning in order to establish dormitories, classrooms and a Chapel.
In the tradition of their foundress, Venerable Catherine McAuley, the first Principal Mother Therese Reilly organised the tasks required and over the next 20 years established a College of fine reputation in a splendid setting.
The commitment of the Docherty family and in particular the three Docherty sisters established the lawns and ensured that food and laundry was of a high standard.
Sisters worked hard teaching all day and looking after the boarding students at night, supervising meals and study and rising very early in the mornings for prayers and Mass. At all times they instilled in the girls a pursuit of excellence. Sr Phillip Shine will be remembered for developing of a strong tradition in musical performance.
Sr Pius and Sr Mary Rose worked tirelessly for many years and left a mark on generations of young women who went out to the world to make a difference as they lived lives of Mercy in Action having been inspired by the loving community created at St Brigid's College by the wonderful Sisters of Mercy.
We keep alive the memory of these Mercy sisters through our buildings, awards and houses, which carry their names into the future and provide us with opportunities to retell their stories and be inspired once again.